5.25.2006

Injustice


I painted Sarah's and Anna's nails with pink polish today. Jonah came in while I was painting them. He gasped. "What's that?" he said.

"It's polish!" said Anna, showing him her hand.

"Can I have some polish?"

"No, it's only for girls," replied Anna.

"But I want some polish too!"

"No, Jonah," I said. "You're a boy. Boys don't wear pink polish. Daddy doesn't wear it either."

Jonah began to cry. "But I'm a girl boy!" he wailed.

"No, Jonah." I said.

"But it will make me good!" he said.

"No, it won't," said Anna. "It will make you look silly."

"It won't make me silly! It will make me good!" He marched up the stairs. "I'm going to watch a baby movie."



6 Comments:

At 10:49 AM, Blogger Jessica said...

Poor little man... what a hard lesson to learn. I have two girls; one of my friends has two boys the same age. I find it funny (or sad) that there are no issues with my girls playing with the boys toys but when the boys come here it seems soooooo different.

 
At 11:04 AM, Blogger Rebecca said...

Yeah, I keep thinking the same thing. It seems so backwards that the girls can do everything the boys can, but not the other way around. I guess there's always football.

 
At 12:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you, honey.

 
At 2:38 PM, Blogger Roxanne said...

I remember babysitting three siblings long ago with another friend. Their dad taught us math. There were two sisters and one little brother--about 2 like Jonah--and we thought it was incredibly funny when we painted his fingernails and toe nails red like we did the girls.

His Daddy was NOT amused. . .now wit a husband and a boy of my own--I know why.

Bless his heart.

 
At 3:06 PM, Blogger Rebecca said...

Oh my. Yeah, Jason would have kittens if Jonah showed up wearing nail polish.

 
At 5:24 PM, Blogger sarahgrace said...

Hee hee hee! I've had to have a similar discussion with my oldest- since he watches me put my make-up on...
"No, honey, you can't wear eyeshadow..."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home