11.05.2006

Church Casual

The style of dress at our church is a kind of mountain grunge. Pastor Jason looks like a scary biker; Adam (ex-military, drummer) always looks like he's ready for a fight; and my Jason usually dresses like an overgrown college kid. It's not that we weren't raised right; it's just that we've come to appreciate the value of being cultural chameleons when presenting the Gospel in new territory.

So this morning, my husband was rummaging through the dresser and the closet, trying to find an appropriate shirt to wear with his holey jeans and tattered baseball cap. Because I'm so behind on laundry, he couldn't find anything that passed the sniff test. (Oh, yes, it's that bad.)

All he could find was a crisp, white dress shirt, neatly hung in the closet. He put it on.

Jason: Does this look okay?

Me: It's kind of weird.

He rolled up the sleeves, revealing the long-sleeved t-shirt cuffs beneath.

Jason: How about now?

Me: I don't know. I kind of like it.

Jason: Yeah, but Jason and Adam are going to be like, "Dude, you're wearing a button-up shirt!" . . . I guess I'll just tell them it was the only thing that was clean.

He added a stained barn jacket.

Jason: Now it's kind of cowboy.

Me: That works.

5 Comments:

At 5:19 PM, Blogger Roxanne said...

There used to be this commercial where a guy gets a new golf shirt as a gift from his wife. . .it's like pink and green marquis diamond print. . .and she thinks it's awesome, so he wears it not to hurt her feelings. But as he leaves the house to go on his golf outing, he says to himself, "Now I'm gonna be 'Shirt Boy' for the rest of the day."

Just then his friends arrive to pick him up. One leans out the window and yells, "Hey! Shirt Boy!"

Today it was just Jason's turn to be Shirt Boy.

 
At 6:34 PM, Blogger Jenn said...

Wash all your stuff... I will come over and help you fold and put away...

 
At 10:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ha ha ha...I'm glad I'm not the only wife who gives her hubby advice on what to wear...

 
At 12:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Way cool for Jason who takes the time to coordinate his attire, even with such limited choices, and to care enough about his overall presentation to consult his wife for that final vote of confidence. Barn jackets do the trick every time!

Glad you liked the muffins - molasses sounds like a winning addition... I'll have to add that next time!

 
At 1:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL, I didn't even notice! (I'm such a guy.) "Scary biker"... I like that. And "mountain grunge" is a pretty good description. Actually, I kinda felt bad for one of the ladies who visited wearing what appeared to me to be a "Sunday Dress."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home