5.03.2006

The Bambi Complex

Anna had me in a headlock this afternoon. "Don't choke me," I said, when I started losing oxygen.

"Why not?" she asked.

"Because if you choke me, I'll die."

"Oh," she said, sitting down next to me. "I don't want you to die."

"You don't?"

"No. I don't want to be all alone without a mommy."

"Yes, that would be sad," I agreed, wondering why her father and three siblings weren't in the scenario.

"If you died, who would take care of me?"

Sarah chimed in. "Daddy could!"

"Oh, yeah!" said Anna. "He could take care of us."

"But what if he has to go to work?" said Sarah.

They both thought hard about it.

"Well," I offered, "Maybe if I died, you could live near someone from our family, and they could take care of you while Daddy is at work."

"Yeah!" said Anna. "That would be okay."

They seemed pacified.

Anna sighed. "But I still don't want you to die."

"Thank you." I said.


2 Comments:

At 7:53 PM, Blogger Roxanne said...

Roxanne's theory on the success of Disney movies. . .

In almost every single Disney movie, with very few exceptions, the mother is either dead or dies sometime in the course of the beginning of the film. . .if a momma were there, there'd just be no movie. . .no conflict. . .no great debacle. . .no story line. . .so the mom has to be knocked off to create a story line where someone can royally screw up and then be saved in some way.

(And I say that with all due respect to YOUR husband AND mine. . .I tell everyone that my husband is an AWESOME Daddy, but a TERRIBLE Mommy. And that is the the truth--and goes both ways.)

Roxanne

 
At 10:20 PM, Blogger Rebecca said...

You're right. Nemo is a great example of that! I don't foresee many changes in plot anytime soon.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home