5.04.2006

Stupid

We met an interesting, three-year-old boy at McDonald's today. He and his sister were already busy in the Playplace, under the supervision of an older man, probably a grandparent. Jonah, Anna, and Sarah finished their snacks quickly, and set off to play with them.

As soon as Jonah entered the playground, the boy turned on him and yelled, "You're STUPID!"

Jonah just smiled amicably. This infuriated the boy even further, and he began shouting, "Stupid, stupid, stupid a**hole!" while his grandfather watched silently.

Having never heard these words before, Jonah understood them to be a friendly new greeting, and replied happily, "You're stupid too!"

I called him over to the table to speak privately. "Jonah, you don't say 'stupid.'"

"I don't?"

"No, that's a mean word."

He looked a bit alarmed. "But that boy said 'stupid!'"

"I know he did, but you don't. We don't use mean words."

"Okay," he said, and ran off to play.

Since the playground was small, he kept running into the boy. Again and again, as the grandfather watched, the boy shouted horrible things at Jonah for absolutely no reason. And Jonah smiled back.

Naiah (our ten-month-old) was playing on the open side of the toddler house, when the boy came over to us. He crawled into the house and looked at her through the window on which she was leaning. Then he began beating hard on the wall and window, as if he wanted to knock her down from his side. I sat next to her, just in case, and she watched him pounding the plastic with his fists.

Jonah came to sit on the other side of Naiah. He spoke to the boy through the window, "This is my brother!"

"Sister," I corrected.

"Yeah," he said smiling, as the boy continued to bang, "This is my baby sister!"

The boy stopped hitting the window and looked at Jonah. "Your baby is STUPID, a**hole!"

Jonah scowled at him for the first time. "No!" he said firmly. "You don't be mean to my sister."

The boy contemplated Jonah's demeanor for a moment, then ran off to the playground again.



How the heck did this issue come up so soon? I knew, as the kids got older, they would meet bullies and violence and cruelty. But never in my wildest dreams did I expect Jonah to be facing kids like this at the age of two! There were no strategies in place to guide me. Should I leave? Should I confront the grandpa? Should I correct the kid?

I chose to stay and see what Jonah would do, and I was so proud of him. He was unwaveringly civil-- even friendly-- to the boy, no matter what he said, and he knew when and how to draw the line. But what if the boy had hit him? What should I have taught my son then-- turn the other cheek? Run away? Hit him back? It's such a situational question that I don't think I could make a general rule... So how do I prepare him?

And the question that still nags me-- What's to become of the boy? His grandfather doesn't seem to care. Someone at home or preschool is berating him so fiercely that he can't even crack a smile at the playground. He's too angry to recognize a friendly face. And I don't even know his name.

4 Comments:

At 7:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

As you know domestic violence isn't just physicial. I would like to hold a seminar at WBF on the issue of domestic violence. Jenn and I are looking into who is available to come up here and present this. The target audience is three tiered. Primarily the local pastors and church leaders so that we would be better equiped to care for those God has entrusted to us. Members of the local churches are the next group as this is an issue we should all be aware of. The third group is the general public. It will be open to the community for any there who want education on this issue.

I will let everyone know details as soon as I can.

 
At 9:43 AM, Blogger Rebecca said...

Jason-- That's a great idea, especially for this area. Jason sent the kids inside last night because there was a horrible fight breaking out from the house behind us, and he thought it might get worse. It seems like it's everywhere in this town.

tfw-- The boy was only three. Anna and Sarah kept trying to play with his sister, who was their size, and she never spoke the whole time we were there. They kept asking her how old she was, and she just stared at them.

 
At 5:17 PM, Blogger Roxanne said...

I know the sadness of this. . .I see it daily in my classroom. Sometimes kids are born into loving, stable, well-balanced homes to families who love God and their children above all else. . .and they still choose the wrong path.

But more often than not, the worst behaviors are born of situations like this--where even at a young age anger is sewn into their souls and is very hard to root out ever again.

I have prayed for this little boy and for his sister as I do for so many of the kids I see every day.

And you should be, and I'm sure you are, incredibly proud of your little man. Even though he knew when to stand up for his baby sister, he did so with love and dignity for one so small. That is a fine commentary on what is being sewn into his own tiny soul.

Roxanne

 
At 10:19 AM, Blogger sarahgrace said...

That is really shocking and sad at the same time. I would have fallen off my chair at the sound of the first curseword. I think you handled it very well, by teaching your son how to handle it the Godly way. It is so hard to know what to do in situations like that though- I understand how you feel about that.
Thanks for sharing though, I think that was model behavior on you and your sons part- and it's good to have a reference, should the same ever happen to any of us.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home