11.21.2006

Bleh

I'm sick.

I wish I weren't sick. I wish I were cleaning my upside-down house and pre-cooking for Thanksgiving.

But I'm sick.

In other news, Jason and I have been reading through Christopher Paolini's best-seller, Eragon. I was reluctant to try it, mostly because the title seemed too clever for its own good, also because I'm not a big fan of the fantasy genre.

I changed my mind because. . .

  1. A few friends recommended it.
  2. I need to learn new plotting techniques. (Juvenile Fantasy is very plot-driven.)
  3. I'm impatient for Jo Rowling (the Plot Master--Have you seen her mapping method?) to finish the last Harry Potter book.

The first few Eragon chapters were infested with modifiers and similes. I caught myself cringing and laughing way too often. Then I learned that Paolini wrote it as a teenager, so I quit picking on him and envied him for doing what I only dreamed of doing in high school.

It's a decent story, so far, if you can overlook the (at times) overblown imagery and excessive adjectives. Hopefully, he'll outgrow the dramatics by the next installment.

3 Comments:

At 6:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

One of my son's fave's. Now I MUST read it too!

He wrote it as a teenager?! Cool!

Rowling's mapping method? That I've got to check out.

 
At 12:17 PM, Blogger Roxanne said...

I read Eragon just to know what all of my kids were into at school. . .and it's an impressive book for a teen to write. . .but I just couldn't get into it. I didn't read Eldest. Read Lloyd Alexanders Prydian series instead. . .it'll tide you over until JK Rowling finishes the last installment. I read recently that she said it wasn't going to be any long than Goblet of Fire or Order of the Phoenix, but I would be happy if it were as long as both put together. . .there are still so many things to explain. That gal has some serious brain power.

 
At 4:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Rebecca- Hope you feel better soon! What a bummer. In the mean time, enjoy your reading. I've heard a little about that book, and now that the movie is coming out, maybe it's something I'll try.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home