4.07.2006

Home

My great-grandmother is Etta Smith.
She was born into the Gully family in Mississippi, 1904.
She hated needlework, and preferred to play outdoors with her brother, Albert, climbing trees.
She married the boy across the pasture. His name was Johnny Smith.
She worked her garden and raised her children, a boy and a girl, my grandmother.
She used recipes that were simple, tasty, and easy to remember.
She went to church every Sunday.
She lost her house to a fire after her children were grown, and built it again, on the same spot.
She lost her husband and her brother and her friends.
She outlived her son.
She read books by the bagfull, in her old age.
She crocheted afghans for everyone in her family.
She wrote poetry.
She teased her son-in-law.
She never missed Wheel of Fortune.
She never complained.
She survived uterine cancer, almost a century old.
She healed completely from a broken hip.
She pleaded with God to take her to heaven, and waited decades, trusting Him.
She told her grandchildren she would climb a tree when she got there.
She said she would run, and ride a bike.
She would ask for a job in the garden.
She slipped into a coma, at the age of 102, yesterday.
She went home.
We are proud of her, and so happy she is free.

6 Comments:

At 5:06 AM, Blogger Unknown Preacher said...

Amen and Amen.
Thanks for the great post. She sounds like a neat lady.

 
At 8:41 AM, Blogger Jessica said...

She sounds like a woman we all need to strive to be like.

Thanks for sharing your definition of mom on my blog. I have had a difficult time articulating why I struggle so with this mommy thing...and I think you put it into words. Thanks!

 
At 9:26 PM, Blogger Pastor Fred said...

Hi Becky,
Sounds like a great lady.
And your tribute is tops!
Perhaps you can write something like that about me when I leave.
Of course you don't have as much to work with as with your grandmother.
Keep up your good work of writing and of being a mother at the same time. You make the two work together as you share the lives of your kids.

 
At 12:31 AM, Blogger Rebecca said...

Thanks guys. I'm really proud to be in the same gene pool with Grandmother, and I can't wait to see what she's up to when I get there.
Pastor Fred, thanks for the encouragement. I hope you're not 'leaving' soon. I just got here. :)

 
At 5:27 AM, Blogger Jen said...

I'm sorry for your loss, but on the other hand it seems like you are much happier about her freedom in heaven....lovely story!

 
At 7:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

she seems like a beautiful person. and its so awesome to have lived over a century. i'm not even a quarter way there yet...
:) awesome.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home