7.26.2006

Lost

I am NOT an organizer.

Just when I begin to see a glimmer of hope that, perhaps, finally, my one ounce of order is beginning to grow, the house explodes.

And so it is today.

It began last week, with a desire to get rid of the mounds of clothes lying about, mostly in the laundry room. So I hauled every last shirt, sock, and pillow case into the living room to sort them. I succeeded in weeding out two big bags full of miscellaneous clothes to donate.

Over the course of the week, my carefully sorted piles began to migrate and mingle, as Jonah and Jason and Naiah and I wandered among them and searched for things now and then. Some of them were put away. Some of them had no place to go. Some of them are sitting in stacks in front of my dresser, which is full. I honestly have no idea what to do with them. So they sit.

On Saturday, I overhauled the nursery room at church. I tossed about 3/4 of the junk, leaving only some cardboard blocks, the kitchen and its paraphernalia, and a few books and trucks. Then I scrubbed everything down with soap and water. It was gorgeous.

Something inside me said, "See? You can do this! You just needed a little boost of confidence."

So I went straight home and overhauled Jonah's room in the same way. Another success!

After that, I targeted the upstairs, which will be the girls' new bedroom.

Everything that did not belong was thrown down the stairs or trashed. I swept, mopped, vacuumed, dismantled the t.v. stand and shelves, cleaned out closets, and arranged the bed and other furniture.

It was all quite satisfying, until I saw the downstairs, which was even more chaotic and impassable than before.

To top it off, Jason kindly decided to clear out the mudroom (the entryway, which had been acting as a temporary storage room since the move). Clearing out the mudroom meant redistributing its contents throughout the living room, dining room, and shed, which, of course, caused even more mess, because now there are boxes and stacks of books, fabric, videos, and paper on every conceivable surface, waiting to be shelved or tucked away in some nonexistent drawer.

And, oh, yes, while I was trying to finish my bedroom, my son took leave to dump heaping scoops of powdered laundry detergent all over the laundry room floor, which I had just mopped. And so he is now confined to his room, where he can undo everything I accomplished there.

I'm utterly lost. I'm staring at rooms scattered with clothes, sheets, books, mail, bathroom products, and toys, and I am completely at a loss as to what to do with them all.

And I find myself asking the same question I've been asking since I first began to try to keep a house. Why do my attempts at cleaning inevitably create an insurmountable mess? What is WRONG with me? I can read Greek and Spanish and a little Hebrew! I passed accounting with Dr. Bonagofski! Why am I too stupid to clean my house?!

I'm going to flounder in the laundry room now.

9 Comments:

At 3:42 PM, Blogger lnstryker said...

I feel your pain...it's nice to know I'm not the only one incapable of keeping a house in order. :-)

 
At 4:23 PM, Blogger Roxanne said...

RUN. . .DO NOT WALK. . .TO flylady.com. . .GO THERE NOW!!!!!

I promise it will help.

And there is NOTHING wrong with you. Keep on working on one project at a time--although it's hard when you're cleaning out, because all the misplaced stuff has to go somewhere until you either find a new home or give it away.

GO TO www.flylady.net.

:)

 
At 4:24 PM, Blogger Roxanne said...

It IS www.flylady.net--not.com

 
At 8:31 PM, Blogger Rebecca said...

Lisa-- Thanks for commiserating.

Roxanne-- I totally forgot about flylady! I started it when I was living in Texas, but never got past the shiny sink. I was just re-reading it, and it's very encouraging. Maybe I'm ready to keep at it now. I've also been reading the original 1970's Sidetracked Home Executives (S.H.E.), but I think their system might be a little too complicated for me. I'll have to read it all the way through once or twice and see if I can manage it.

P.S. That one-project-at-a-time thing is definitely what's killing me! Thanks for the encouragement. ;)

 
At 11:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

And you really did do a fine job on the nursery. I super appreciate it.

 
At 7:26 AM, Blogger Roxanne said...

Flylady's system is based on the original S.H.E. system. . .it was too complicated for her too. Flylady and the S.H.E. gals are friends though, and she has links to them on her website. . .

 
At 11:56 AM, Blogger sarahgrace said...

I just say take it one thing at a time, don't look at the whole mess because you'll be overwhelmed- but that's about all I can offer- otherwise I'm going to have to check out that flylady.net myself too...

 
At 2:57 PM, Blogger hestermom said...

Well, let me just say that instead of working on the overwhelming amount of packing, cleaning, and getting rid of that I need to be doing, I am sitting here reading your blog thinking...that's exactly how I feel. Everywhere I turn...it's too much stuff that doesn't have a place. And that's what is getting me today...I hate things that don't have a place. And I am huge, I am hot...and I don't really feel like packing. Thanks for being honest and open, I am knee deep in that pain with you today. Maybe tomorrow will be better. Does flylady have any ideas about how to fit 1500 sq. ft. into 552?? =) I'll have to check...

 
At 8:03 PM, Blogger Jenn said...

I agree with the flylady diagnosis... and I am always willing to come help... I am just afraid of coming over and TAKING OVER...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home