7.17.2006

The Clean Queens

The girls have been discovering their neater sides at Grammie's house this past week. . . folding and putting away clothes, keeping the play room tidy, making their bed, etc. They are thoroughly enjoying it all.

Any other mother would probably be elated that her children show such a penchant for order and cleanliness. I find it frightening, to be honest.

1. It's intimidating to know that my offspring (at the age of 4) are better at organization than I am.

2. I am crippled with guilt over the fact that I don't provide them with a structured, orderly household to flourish in.

3. I am terrified that they'll realize what a disorganized mother they have, and revolt.

Granted, I am improving, slowly, as I get older. But there is a shrill voice in my head which demands that I transform into the Queen of Clean, NOW. Right this second. Spare them the frustrations of messy play rooms and chaotic bookshelves and lost laundry.

But realistically, that kind of change will take time, time, and more time. Sigh.

So, in the meantime, I'm plotting to reacclimate them slowly to the general upheaval that is the Kerr residence by rearranging the house. When we moved here, I planned to give Anna and Sarah the upstairs. They weren't ready to leave Jonah, however, so the upstairs became a play room.

Now the upstairs will be the domain of civilization, to which the girls can retreat at their leisure (and to which I can send them at my leisure). They can have their own closets, dressers (once I find some), bookshelves, bedding, and they can organize and fold and tidy to their hearts' content.

Hopefully, that will buy me a little more time.

5 Comments:

At 10:49 AM, Blogger lnstryker said...

I suffer from the same lack of abilty to create order. I have had to trtain my children to be slobs; its not too hard :-)

 
At 2:33 PM, Blogger Roxanne said...

Now the that girls have discovered such an industrious and enjoyable past time for themselves. . .cut 'em loose in the house and see what they can get done. You provide the messes--they can provide the clean up. :)

 
At 3:02 PM, Blogger hestermom said...

Yes well...I am actually one that has worked hard on creating order, routine and cleanliness (for my own sanity). However, and I don't really blame Ben, but I'm just saying...that with daddy home in the mornings, it just seems like all my orderliness and routine has been thrown out, because it's much more fun to play by daddy's rules (I'm not sure there are any....)But there is much to be said about relationships and their great value...more so than a clean house. It drives me crazy but the kids are enjoying "summer" with daddy which is usually nonexistent in camping ministry. So, I'll allow it for a time...but when we live in less than 600 square feet, it can't be like this!!
P.S. Becky-that's actually the great thing about being the mom...you've been promoted to supervisor!!!

 
At 7:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmm..I'm with Roxanne.

 
At 8:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I first came back from Germany, I was a total clean freak. My first night back I spent all night (still on German time) deep cleaning the kitchen.

Dishest got done as soon as used. Laundy got folded and put away. My room was spotless. You see the trend. My mother was thrilled. Gradually though it wore off till I became the scruffy long bearded, none too tidy preacherman you know now.

"This too shall pass."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home